Note: These are the National AYSO guidelines for U6 play. The rules for Belmont Redwood Shores AYSO may have slightly modified to better fit our region’s requirements.
Ball Size 3
- Number: Three per team on field; no goalkeepers.
- Substitutions: Between periods, at halftime and for injuries.
- Playing time: Minimum of two periods per game and no player should play four periods until everyone has played three.
- Teams: Separate girls and boys teams at all levels of play. Only players should be allowed on the ?eld, with the exception of a coach from each team who will manage the game.
- Footwear: Soccer shoes, tennis shoes or similar type athletic shoes are recommended. The type and condition of cleated shoes must be inspected for safety before use.
- Shinguards: MANDATORY, must be covered entirely by socks.
Duration of Game
- Four five-minute periods.
- Half time break of 5–10 minutes.
Start of Play
- The game should be started with a kick-off in the middle of the field.
- The coaches determine which team starts the game with a coin flip and the opposing team starts the second half.
- Coaches will ensure that opponents are at least five yards from the spot of the kick.
Ball In & Out of Play
- To be determined by coaches.
Fouls & Misconduct
- To be assessed by coaches.
- Direct free kick for all fouls, with the opponents ?ve yards away from the ball.
- There is no need for fully qualified referees to manage U-6 games. One or both of the coaches should “officiate”. The games are intended to be an opportunity for the very youngest of our players to experience the fun of playing. The barest of minimum rules are needed and should be applied with a generous amount of flexibility. Let the players have the freedom to play with minimum interruption.